5.9.09

Pretty Dumb Thing

Let me just start by saying that I happen to love Harper's Bazaar. It was to be one of the more eclectic fashion magazines we have access to on News stands. However,I have serious issues with the September Issue. There are two covers. One with Gossip Girl's Leighton Meester, and one with Agyness Deyen dressed as Michael Jackson. Beyond the cover, the tribute spread and is featured as well as it is in this blog. I don't mean to make this a race issue, but the fact that it is a race issue, I'd figure I'd raise the issue!! If they were paying tribute to let's say...the late James Dean I could understand why they would choose Agyness Deyen to wear his leather jackets, ripped denim Jeans,and pose with a cigarette in her mouth. But that isn't the case, this is the African American Icon Michael Jackson we're talking about here. And, yes, everyone has opinions about Michael Jackson, ok, fine, that's another Blog. This photo shoot was done with the intent of honoring him,his style, charm, talent, and his ability to captivate millions of people with just one move. If you wanted to capture that fully, why wouldn't you choose a model of the mans' race? I'm just saying; was Naomi Campbell unavailable or something? For crying out loud, she was even featured in his "Keep it in the closet" music video! Do some research -Make the connection people!Even if she specifically wasn't available I'm sure they're plenty of other beautiful women of color who would've gladly done this "Pretty young Thing"shoot. The fashion is impeccable of course, all the jackets featured are beautiful, as they would be. But I'm honestly so perplexed, I can't enjoy it. All in all, I think this was a poor choice, Bazaar gets two huge thumbs down from me on this. In the world of twitter this would be considered a #MajorFail




No comments: