10.11.09

Fly Music- Buzz Worthy Barbie

What do you get when you mix pink lipstick, an animated personality, edgy lyrics and a touch of raunchiness together? Nicki Minaj of course. After I decided to click on a link from one of my beloved social networking sites I finally got an understanding of who or what the "hype' was about. Ms. Minaj had been floating around in random conversations all over the internet on some of my favorites sites before then; and I hadn't stopped to pay attention at any point yet. But after I listened to about four tracks off the “Beam Me Up Scotty" mix tape, I was in. The now Young Money affiliated rapper hails from Jamaica, Queens, and was discovered on her MySpace page. We can thank Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music and Art for setting her in motion, which is actually the same school the movie "Fame" was inspired by. How do you like that? So far she's been featured in Urban DVD magazine, The Come Up [not to be confused with the J.Cole mix tape that we'll get to soon enough ;-)] mix tapes with Little Wayne, a remix with T.I. and is also on Robin Thicke's new single, "Shakin It For Daddy". Seriously folks, that's the name of the song, promise. But in any case, my opinion is that her freestyle ability, risquĂ© wardrobe and material girl attitude are all a force to be reckoned with. Up against a group of men during the freestyle segment on the BET Hip-Hop Awards she proved just that, here's an excerpt from that freestyle: Call me Dracula 'cause all I do is count tricks/ your money mini and I ain't talking 'bout the mouse trick/ these girls running like I just threw the bouquet/ they know I'm headed to the top like a toupee," Minaj spit. "Now all the bums is wondering where I bees at/ you ain't a Barbie, it's none of your freakin' beeswax!" - cute & clever... Nice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicki is my boo... I been on her waaaayyy before she became mainstream. Im talking way back when she was sporting t-shirts, Jordans, BabyPhat jeans and a Roc-a-wear purse while freestyling in the project hallways. Her lyrics are phenominal! great punchlines, cleavor metaphores and intricate wordplay satiates her first two mixtapes: Sucker Free and Beam Me Up Scottie. Her video vixin aura belies her quirky personna, but that odd that combination is the driving force behind her cult like following: The Harajuku Barbies. My only concern is that Young Money Ent. lacks the experience and aptitude to market her. And that will soon be compounded by the president of the record label Lil Wayne (the star power behing the whole label) going to jail. This is getting a bit lengthy, so let me conclude with: I luv Nicki.
Marc-A_D.